Friday, November 2, 2007

I Can Hear...


As for me, I look to the Lord for his help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me. Micah 7:7 nlt

Last night I took my grandma to watch her oldest great-grandchild (my daughter Meghan) sing in her school’s choir performance. Meg was up on stage with over a hundred other young men and women. I shared with you a few days ago that my grandma is extremely hard of hearing. She worked in a factory on an assembly line when she was young, long before there were rules about wearing earplugs around loud machinery. Her hearing has suffered greatly because of those working years. Thankfully Grandma’s poor hearing didn’t stop her from looking forward to going and watching Meghan perform.

We sat in the audience facing the stage that was filled with a bevy of distinct sounds, these young adults joyfully singing for us. Though all completely different, their voices were one as we listened intently. My grandma sat there with a perpetual smile on her face as the music stopped and started, never once revealing that she really couldn’t hear very well. I hadn’t anticipated being brought close to tears before the performance was over. I tried hard to swallow the lump in my throat when Grandma softly smiled and leaned over to (very) loudly whisper in my ear, “I can hear Meghan.”

I couldn’t help but think that we serve a God who can hear our own voice as well and can pick us out amongst the multitudes. Just as a mother knows the voice of her own precious child or a grandmother the song of her granddaughter...so our God knows our voice and stops to listen to us. God’s word says in Jeremiah 33:3 “Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” Psalm 145:18 says, “The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.” Micah 7:7 says, "...God will certainly hear me." Did you read that? It does not say that “He might hear you or that He will hear you only between the hours of 8am and 5pm. Not at all, it says He will certainly hear you...period.

Isn’t it amazing to stop and think for a moment…the one true and living God, the same God who formed the earth, the very God who hung the stars in the sky and who told the ocean’s waves they could only come so far…He hears his children when we call.

Call out to Him with confidence. He will most certainly hear you.

4 comments:

Chelle' said...

WOW! That could have come right out of Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest. AMAZING!

Thank you so much for sharing this today. As I call His name this morning, I will certainly remember that like your grandma with Meghan- He hears my voice distinctly.

Great Great Post.

Sue Tornai said...

This is too beautiful for words. Thank you for blessing me with this story! I love the music. I love the pics.

Anonymous said...

Great post Jo, and I feel it too.

Lynne said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I got the photo from istockphoto.com.

Take care,
Lynne

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin