Sunday, May 1, 2011

Soul Surfer Movie Review

There's been lots of movie watching going on at our house lately.

 I tried to keep my eyes open through Eat Pray Love. Sorry Julia Roberts fans, I couldn't stand it. Thankfully, the Italian food kept my attention. I outlasted Paul through Hereafter and felt betrayed by legendary director Clint Eastwood, and his executive producer Steven Spielberg - big yawn.

This afternoon, I surprised Grace and took her to see Soul Surfer - The New York Times even gave it a thumbs up. Are you looking for an inspirational movie for the whole family - then look no further.

National surf champion, Bethany Hamilton, was just 13yrs old when she was attacked by a shark off the north shore of Kauai.

Realizing that the shark could attack again,
Bethany knew her life depended on getting
ashore a quarter of a mile away. Alana’s father
made a tourniquet to stop the loss of blood
by using his rash guard, a protective surfing
shirt. He pushed her as she paddled with her
right arm. Bethany prayed for the Lord to
help her get to the beach. She remembers the
Lord’s calm voice assuring her that she was in
His hands. After reaching shore, they began
the torturous 45-minute ride to the hospital.
A Kauai paramedic whispered in her ear,
“God will never leave you or forsake you.”
 Calvary Chapel Magazine.




It was refreshing to see a solid Christian family portrayed as normal, happy, and even successful. A far cry from the token Christian in the movie Hereafter who has a cameo appearance and shares the only way to Heaven is through Christ (John 14:6). Hollywood didn't disappoint, this guy spoke the gospel truth but looked like a nut.

I digress.

When Grace and I left the theatre, we decided this was a must-see for the whole family. I'll definitely be purchasing this one.

If you'd like to read the full article in Calvary Chapel Magazine
Click here.


Bethany's Blog here.  

2 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

I keep hearing great things about this movie! I need to see it!

Chris said...

Thanks for the review, Joanne. I think I'll take my friend who needs encouragement.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin