Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Is my conduct worthy?

“Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ…” Philippians 1:27 nkjv

This week was a bit of a milestone week for me. After seven years of being an exclusive stay at home mommy I went back to work. Our youngest is in school for a full day now which gives me some time to have a part time job. (Plus I knew that if I was home my husband would expect our shower to be clean!) Actually it is an on call position which is even less demanding than a part time job. I am a police dispatcher. It is a job that I held for quite a few years while my older two children were babies and starting school. It is what I love to do.

This Monday began my training. For the past seven years I have been in a ‘Christian cocoon’. There has rarely been a Bible study or time our church doors were open that I wasn’t in attendance. Now I am back in the world. What an odd feeling it was to begin work with people who never speak His name or ever share with each other the joy they have in Jesus. The morning before I started work I committed my job to Him. When I had my time in the word, God was faithful to give me the above scripture. I have to ask myself every morning before I head out the door…is my conduct worthy, am I being a good example? Just yesterday I met another dispatcher for the first time. She had a cross on her necklace. My heart fluttered, I thought to myself, “Another Christian?” Then she proceeded to tell a story about someone and use a foul word. I was grieved. I wondered to myself about how many times God may have smiled upon something I was doing or saying and then just as fast I destroyed my own testimony by my actions or words.

Being a Christian at this new police department is much different for me. I was not a Christian when I worked as a dispatcher years before. I know God has placed me there for a purpose. His fingerprints have been all over my hiring process. I just don’t know what that ‘purpose’ is. So for now I will just be obedient, have faith and keep walking forward with Jesus right by my side.

I am off now to finish getting ready…my strength is in Him ,my mind is stayed on His word, and my silent prayer is "Lord, let my conduct be worthy, help me be a good example."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin