Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Word of God...

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" Hebrews 4:12

How encouraging it is to know that many of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are getting their strength from God. I recently saw a picture of a soldier with Psalm 23 written on his helmet. God's word says that we are all soldiers in Christ. Some days I feel like I am on the front lines of the battlefield myself. I came across this video below 'Battle Cry' and it was a great reminder of the battles that we face on a daily and sometimes even moment to moment basis. And of how God has already prepared us for the battle. Sometimes I forget just how powerful my God is. No matter how fierce my fiery trial, God's word is the sword He gives us as our sovereign battle gear. This powerful sword begins its work the moment we lean on His Word, while our prayers engage a supernatural guided missile with the power of a nuclear bomb. What I find to be a daunting opponent is nothing at all to my God.

My son David recently received his Papa's Marine Corp sword. It is a beautiful weapon, double edged and ornate with a long leather sheath. David and his Papa took time cleaning it and polishing it until it sparkled. Though beautiful, it is still quite intimidating and not to be underestimated. After I showed this video to my older children and explained to them the power we have in Christ, the room was quiet. I thought that maybe my words had sunk in, "What a wonderful teaching moment with my children." I thought to myself. I had such mom-pride.


I should have known that my 13year old son David would take my words literally.


Still mesmerized by the video, and almost drooling with excitement, his eyes glued to the now black screen, he joyously whispered "Mom, can I pray with my sword?"

"NO!" I choked......So much for my lesson.



"...in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints." Ephesians 6:16-18

1 comment:

Aly said...

Joanne,

Not only are you continuing to grow in the Lord, but your writing has also been kicked up a few notches! I loved this eloquent story of David and his Papa...and your almost-mom lesson! :o)

I'm still in awe of how you put this blog together! Love ya!

Aly

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin