Sunday, February 10, 2008

Blessed are the Flexible

Pneumonia has a way of getting your attention. After my sister Jennifer was released from the ER late Thursday evening, her mother in law Geneva who has been staying with their family was admitted to the same hospital Friday morning, with the very same diagnosis...pneumonia. Geneva had one added concern though, her x-rays showed a spot on her lung that they want to check with more testing. Please keep her in your prayers.

Our plans to leave for a family snow trip Friday morning came to a screeching halt. Celebrating my birthday in Lake Tahoe and sledding with the kids would be an impossibility to do with a care free heart. I couldn't leave my sister being so sick. I wanted to be there in case she needed me or if she headed back in to the hospital.

When we shared the news with our children on Friday morning, our youngest two cried. They had all gone to bed so excited to wake up the next morning and leave for their big trip. I was very disappointed too. During our devotion, I shared with them that I knew God had something for them this weekend. That He is a loving God and they should have hope. I told them to keep their eyes open and to watch and see what He would do.

Less than five hours later my father and stepmother called to invite us all out to dinner and to ask if they could keep the children overnite. The kids were thrilled to have a sleepover with their grandparents. They loved on the kids and filled them up with goodies and a trip to the movies to see the 'Chipmunk Movie'. I was so grateful to the Lord!

Of course God didn't stop at blessing the children. Paul and I found out late last night that Lee Strobel, the author of 'The Case for Christ' book series is going to be speaking at a church close by. We are loading up the car this morning and even picking up my sister's oldest girls and taking them along to hear him speak. How cool is that?!?

Oh, and the cabin of our dear family friend, that we were going to stay at...it is available next weekend.

GOD IS SO GOOD!


3 comments:

Mari said...

Happy birthday and I'm so glad you will be able to still have your getaway!

Chelle' said...

I'm so sorry your trip was delayed. I hope your birthday was still delightful.

We thought of you often throughout the day.

Jess said...

I'm sorry you missed out on your anticipated trip, but you are such a great example of a mother! Your children are SO 'blessed'!
You'll have to let us know what you think of Lee Strobel! He sounds like someone with quite a story. I've got "Case for Christ" and had given my mom "Case for Faith" last year for Christmas.

~jessica

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin