Monday, February 16, 2009

Searching for a Godly Spouse

Last week while I was cleaning my kitchen I brought in my shiny red laptop. I wanted to search for something interesting that would keep my mind off of my task of cleaning the tile-jam (that's toe-jam, except in between tile). I HATE TILE. But I digress. I'll bore you with that dark little secret another time.

I found myself at the Focus on the Family site. As always, Dr. Dobson and his program didn't disappoint. Well known pastor and author Alistair Begg was the guest speaker this day and his topic of discussion was Searching for a Godly Spouse - Part 1 and 2.

No, I am not searching for a Godly spouse. Not today anyway. But I did find myself drawn to this teaching. It was a good refresher course for me. I made breakfast for Paul. Later that morning we sat and listened together (while stuffing our mouths with eggs and sausage). He enjoyed it just as much. No, not just the sausage, the message too.

We both decided our oldest two kids needed to hear this.

Today we shared this wonderful and timeless message with our teenage daughter and teenage son. We had them take notes. Afterwards we had a quick Q and A time, just the four of us. We asked them to share with us anything that really stuck out to them. We had an amazing discussion.

Though our daughter is seventeen and our son is fourteen and their spouses are nowhere in the picture yet, Praise God, we made sure to share with them that they are able to take this exact criteria and choose good friends in their high school as well.

If you are interested in listening too, head on over to Focus on the Family, click on the Broadcasts and Podcasts on the left side of the main page, then click on Listen Now and then find the teachings "Searching for a Godly Spouse 1 & 2" - shared on February 9th and 10th.

Whenever I hear an amazing teaching, I have to pass it on!



5 comments:

Mari said...

Having a Godly spouse is so important. I rarely get a chance to hear Dr Dobson, but as you said, he rarely disappoints.

Beth in NC said...

That was wise to share that message with them. I pray it will stick in their hearts so that WHEN the wrong person comes in their paths -- they will RUN.

Beth Herring said...

What a great mom you are! That was something that I think all parents with teens need to do. Praise God my 2 married daughters have Christian spouses.

In Him,Beth

Elizabeth M Thompson said...

Marriage preparation needs to start very early! I'm glad you and Paul are on top of it.

One of the best ways to prepare your kids to choose well is to set a great example of a loving, Christ-centered marriage. Then your children will develop a healthy expectation of what a marriage partner ought to be. They can weed out the counterfeits pretty easily.

I know you and Paul are already setting that example!

Growin' With It said...

how interesting. because when i have been thinking of how to pray for my boys, this topic often comes up in my thoughts. and the fact that we call AJ & the neighbor girl "an old married couple" cuz she bosses him to no end. oh the thought to have a DIL like that someday. so this is something dear to my heart. thank you so much for sharing.

p.s. d-man is now 10 and if i remember right you have a daughter that age too? let's pray NOW so we can be related someday! ☺

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin