Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rest In Peace - Facebook



I pulled the trigger.

Yes, I finally did it. I'd been thinking about it for awhile - had fantasized about it even longer. It was completely premeditated.

My Facebook account is dead.

No more snowballs or hidden eggs, quiz's about every possible thing, or Farkle.

Never again will I wonder why I'm looking at pictures from someone who I had in my high school biology class twenty-three years ago.

Yes, there were people I enjoyed reconnecting with. (You know who you are!) For the most part,with my attention span of a gnat problem- it was a time-sucker-extraordinaire.

So, if you are really and truly my friend, not my FFF Fake-Facebook-Friend, as my husband would call it, we will email or chat on the phone, or even...dare I say it...spend time together in person.

For now I have a job to do. God has put it on my heart to write, and write I will. (My best Yoda impression.)

It's time to loosen my load and throw Facebook overboard. My attraction-to-distraction syndrome can't take much more.

So, please tell Nancy Grace to move on along. There isn't anything to see here.



I'm guilty as charged.




15 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Way to go girlie! You go write! You are right it is a big time distraction!

Denise said...

I just did the same thing sweetie, bless you. Write on.

Denise said...

I am proud of you! Way to go! ;o)

Shalom,
Denise

Cheri said...

I did the same thing- except it was my blog that I quit. I chose to keep facebook.
I still check everyone's blogs though- can't quite cut that cord completely :)

Amber Dupree said...

I may follow your lead. I've been toying with the idea for a long time.

Ruthie said...

Thank you for sharing this... I just signed onto Facebook and have to really discipline myself to a few minutes a day ... it does nothing for me! so I too may follow your lead! Thank You! Blessings on you dear one!

Runner Mom said...

So proud of you! I still have one, but I only check it once a week! I enjoy blogging more!
Hugs,
Susan

secondofwett said...

ohhhhh...I've been debating this very thing in my mind the last few weeks....good for you.

Lauren said...

Good for YOU!! Tell it like it IS!

hey you.... blahhhhhhgitty blaaahhh said...

WOW! I consider saying goodbye to facebook on a weekly basis, it IS a serious time stealer.

Good for you!!! :D

Paula V said...

You are too funny. I've never done FB...although I have an account because a year or more back I got tricked to signing in to see a friend's FB. So, now I get requests for friends often. FB has told me that I can't delete the account but can only put different statuses on it to make it inactive. Then, why do people still ask to be friends.

I'm holding tight to not fall into the temptation of adventuring in the FB world like so many of my real friends do...which makes me curious to want to see and be in the mix.

Shermanators said...

Good for you! I was obsessed at first...now I check it maybe once a week! It's definitely a time sucker!! :)

christy rose said...

I completely understand how you feel. At first I was on it all the time. Now I use it to accomplish what I want and not let it use me! LOL I post my blog posts on there though! That works nicely. :)

momstheword said...

Yeah, you can only do so much. I don't do much on fb. I try to post a status once a day (although I don't always do even that) and I leave a couple of comments, but then I'm done.

I know that some people play games and stuff, but I haven't done that either.

Unknown said...

Good for you! I do stay with FB just because I have some long-distance friends and relatives that it helps me stay in touch with. I don't play the games and rarely take a quiz or anything. A lot of my friends read my blog through there and I like to comment and say hi. That's about it! Haven't even been there yet today in fact!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin