Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Miraculous Potpourri Recipe

Does your home smell like fall, or just plain smell? Twice a year our front porch smells. When I say smell, I mean stinky, plug your nose, what just died smell. What is this odiferous scent, you ask? It's a cross between a dirty sock, sour milk and burnt hair. Lovely, isn't it? After nine years in our home we have yet to discover the culprit.
Now, we just watch people walk up to our front door and laugh to ourselves when they act like they don't smell it. I laugh the hardest when my husband holds people hostage on our porch by talking with them. Gosh, I just bust a gut.

Yeah, we're odd like that.

So, in honor of my stinky porch, it's time for my annual potpourri post!

For those who make it past our front door, this is the scent they are greeted with. A reward for their bravery. The scent that permeates our home from this blessed concoction can only be described as heavenly!

Joanne's World Famous Simmering Potpourri Recipe






5-10 cinnamon sticks

1 heaping tbsp whole cloves

2-3 bay leaves

1/2 sliced lemon

1/2 sliced orange

Put all ingredients in a pot of water on your stove. Simmer over low heat, checking regularly so that it doesn't boil over or burn out all water.

Disclaimer for moms of teenagers: This delightful treat will cure the smelliest of stinky-stenches. I won't give away ALL my secrets, but I have been known to get this pot simmering and walk it through my house. It has even taken away evil-stinky-teenage-boys-room-stink.

You know you want to make some.





Bookmark and Share

11 comments:

Genny said...

I love this post, Joanne! And I love the smells of fall...I'll have to try this recipe.

LOL about the porch!

christy rose said...

Thanks for the anti smell remedy. I will be trying this for sure!

Beth Cotell said...

I wonder if this would work in my car? There is always a stink in there that I can't get rid of!

Anonymous said...

yep...I remember this one from last year! it's a must!!!! thanks for sharing again!

Mari said...

I'm thinking it smells good just reading this!
Sometimes I take water, cinnamon and a few orange slices and put them in the microwave for a bout 5 minutes. It freshens up the microwave and when you take it out you can wipe the interior out and it's clean too!

Aspiemom said...

I love simmering things like this. Sometimes I use apples, sometimes oranges, but always the cloves and cinnamon...mmm!

Karen said...

I have a little electric potpourri pot that I fill with mixtures similar to this...LOVE the smell....

Denise said...

I will have to try this sweetie.

Cheri said...

I can't wait to try this!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I was just going to call you today for the recipe. Miss you my friend. Love ya.
Carrie

Unknown said...

I love this recipe so much - I've been using it since last year! I even posted a pic of it recently and linked to the recipe on your blog. My friends love it too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin