Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Tablecloth - Our Family Tradition


"Enter into His gates with Thanksgiving..." Psalm 100:4

Ten years ago, I was reading a magazine and saw what I thought was a wonderful Thanksgiving idea. The next day I ran out and bought a linen tablecloth and some fabric pens from the craft store. When the holiday arrived, after the family finished their turkey dinner, I got out the pens and passed them around. Everyone took their turn at writing down on the tablecloth what they were thankful for.

As the years have passed, this linen tablecloth has become more and more precious to me. Notes of my family's gratitude, for children, spouses, our country and our God, now dance across the pale yellow cloth. All of the grandma’s and grandpa’s in our family have signed it, each small child has outlined his or her hand on it.

When guests arrive at our home this year for Thanksgiving, they will gather around the table to read and laugh at the memories. The children who are too young to read, look to find their handprints to see how much they have grown.

Getting to read messages left by relatives and friends every year is something I am so thankful for. Though they may not be able to share in person each and every turkey dinner with us, their words remain to touch our hearts and to remind me to offer up a prayer of thanksgiving for each and every one of them.

It's not too late to purchase a linen tablecloth before turkey day. How about starting a new Thanksgiving tradition in your home this year?

Maybe you already have a linen tablecloth of your very own-I know my friend Lynn does!


6 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

What a wonderful idea!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this idea! I read about it somewhere else too and really want to do this!

mariel said...

oh i just LOVE it!!!! going to get me a linen table cloth RIGHT NOW!!!! have a beautiful and very blessed thanksgiving!!

Mari said...

I remember this from last year and I still love it! What a treasure.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this photo of your tablecloth. From our house to yours. Happy Thanksgiving. Hugging you. Love, Lynn

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, missed this one, but great idea... I remember you talking about this last year? Is that right? Anyway, I did order Jotham's Journey today after going to a local Christian bookstore today and inquiring about it; I kept insisting that it was entitled "Jared's Journey"... they kept telling me "no, it's not in our system." Then I get home, and come over here to find out that I had it entirely wrong.

Big surprise. Apparently Jared never took a Journey; it was his cousin Jotham instead, so I gave up and ordered it online. Hope it gets here by the 1st. If not, we'll make up a story about Jared and his journey through my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peace~elaine

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin