Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you September 11, 2001?

Only minutes before, my husband had left for his men’s bible study at the local coffee shop. I had just gotten out of the shower and could hear the phone ringing as I wrapped the towel around my head. “Who could be calling me this early?” I thought to myself. My heart began to beat a little bit faster as I ran to get it before it woke up the baby. Early phone calls like this unnerved me. It was my sister Jennifer. She sounded anxious, “Joanne, turn on your television.” “You know I can’t.” I said walking back into my bedroom. The only station we could get was a fuzzy Spanish station. A few months back, my husband had been preparing to take the Bar exam and after my begging him to help me move around furniture, I had agreed to be fine without a television. “A plane has just hit one of the twin towers in New York.” “They are saying that the plane may have been hijacked from Boston.” I found myself sitting now on the edge of our bed. “Are you sure they said Boston, Jennifer?” I calmly asked, my voice never betraying my thoughts. “Do you know what flight Carrie was taking home this morning from Boston?” I asked.

__________________________________________________________________

Where were you on September 11, 2001? This is the question our generation will forever have an answer for. I have not been as affected by the anniversary of this sad event like I am today. Maybe because it is a Tuesday like the same day it originally occurred. Maybe because I now know much more of the heartache from watching stories of survivors and the family members of the deceased tell their tales. On that fateful day, our friends who had planned to leave Boston early in the morning had a last minute change of plans. A ticket agent had suggested they leave from Providence, Rhode Island instead. Saying we were relieved is an understatement.

The events of 9/11 are hard for us to understand. We just can’t see the good that comes from it. Take a moment today to hug your kids, cuddle with your spouse, call your parents just to tell them you love them. Thank God for your life and for the time he has given you. It is a gift. There is some good that can come out of this.

1 comment:

ElizabethMThompson said...

My kids were up, Julia's 2nd birthday was the 10th and she and Nathaniel were playing with her new toys in the family room.

A friend called and told me that a plane had been intentionally flown into one of the towers. I watched the coverage live via the internet, not wanting the kids to see it.

That night our house was filled with friends who came to gather and pray. We all felt so helpless.

A few weeks later, most of those we prayed with went to New York to offer prayers and practical help to those immediately affected by the horrific events of September 11, 2001.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin