Wednesday, December 19, 2007

PEACE ON EARTH


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phill.4:6-7


Christmas cards not finished, shopping for the angel tree left undone, two angel outfits to create, twelve pound cakes still to make…frazzled, you might say so. So why was I so surprised yesterday that I had a meltdown after being told by my son that he had forgotten his science project at home? Already at his school, car still idling, his head peeking in the passenger side window...I was not only irate, dare I say I was dressed in sweats and a sweatshirt, greasy hair, glasses on, bra off and morning breath extraordinaire.

Driving back home yet again to pick up my sons’ work, I was on the phone with my sister in a flash, almost in tears, commiserating about my stresses. After receiving some welcome comfort, I then called my best friend and my ‘Elizabeth’. She told me to just stop! She asked if I had been in the Word yet this morning. I told her I had wanted to, had given her the excuses why I hadn’t and then was quiet as she shared what she had read in 1Peter that very morning. I was touched that God had blessed her so, but was a bit irritated that she didn’t share the same comforting words that my sister had given me, nor had she justified my behavior…ouch!

When I got home I gathered up my Bible, ‘My Utmost for His Highest’, ‘Streams in the Desert’, and my journal…I was packed and ready for war. I had my nuclear weapons aimed and ready. Of course only minutes into my reading the Lord spoke right to my heart. As much as I had wanted to make this Christmas about Him, it was slowly becoming about everything but.

In just minutes I was feeling like I could breathe again. Perfect peace washed over me, that peace that surpasses all understanding, so much so, that I fell asleep. Those that know me, know that I am a morning person. I never fall asleep at 9:30am, 7:30pm maybe, but never 9:30am. My husband came in to find me in a state of heavenly rest that surprised even him.

My 1828 Webster’s Dictionary defines peace as; a state of quiet or tranquility, freedom from disturbance or agitation. The only way to feel ‘Peace on Earth’, is to know Him. If we are not feeling this peace then we are walking too far away from the one who gives this surpassing tranquility so freely. May His peace be with you today!


(The picture of my Christmas angel was taken quite a few years ago.)

8 comments:

Mari said...

Your Christmas angel is just adorable! Your words touched my heart because I have so often been right where you were and I don't seem to learn. I know I will be there again. That's a good friend you have. She knew just what you needed. Peace be with you today also, my friend!

Jess said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough start to your day! But, glad you got the chance to re-charge with your Father. He never fails, does He.
And how good it is to have one who commiserates with you and one who puts you in your place and tells you what you need to hear! :) Both are very important.
Hope your peace lasted and surpassed all understanding throughout your day! :)

~jessica

Chelle' said...

What a great post Joanne. You can call me you know... I'll give you a good ole kick in the pants. :) (Though... I have been known to wallow with friends in misery for 90 seconds first!!)

My friend Stacy had your morning today as well. (Though I think she said her bra was on :) She had arranged for her two youngest to go with a friend and her two oldest were to be in school... she needed the time alone to finish her shopping.

She ended up not only with her two youngest but also with another friend's child that she forgot she had to carpool. THere she was in Target with a clan of children as she tried to shop.

I fielded that phone call. Let her verbally vommit and then brought her back to the grace and peace of the Lord. It's not about the gifts. It's not about the shopping. It's about THE GIFT! And He will grant you peace in this time when we are inclined to make it more stressful than need be.

And so- I am SOOO GLAD you made time in your day to sit in, and ultimately sleep in, HIM. It's the only way.

Love you friend.

Rmomof3 said...

Absolutely LOVE the picture! It is a precious reminder to us all not to get soooo wrapped up in all that we are trying to do! It is so true Only He who is perfect peace can grant us true peace!
Have a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS!
Blessings!
Renee

Rebekah said...

ohh those are good songs. I may keep your site up for a bit so I can enjoy this music!

Fran said...

Colossians 3:15 is a favorite scripure of mine on peace. I hope your days are filled with peace, joy and love!

Merry Christmas friend.
Love,
Fran

Sue Tornai said...

Your Christmas angel is precious. The music is awesome! Every time I click to come to your blog, I get the warning that this could be an unsafe place and I quickly click past it to surrender my heart to the peace I experience. Thank you. Thank you for the reminders of God's peace in a crazy world. As I sit here in my room where my computer is and where I wrap Christmas gifts and write on Christmas cards, I need the sweet music and words of peace. Thank you!

I love you. Merry Christmas!!

Sue

connorcolesmom said...

Oh all that stuff will come together or it wont and that is ok too!
I love that picture of your little girl. She truly is an angel.
I hope we can talk again soon and for much longer this time :)
Have a MERY CHRISTMAS!!
God bless,
Kim

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin