Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Birth of a Blog

**Like most moms, I love to hear and share birth stories. It is a right of passage for a new mom to finally not have to sit and listen but to have her very own story to share about how her precious one came to be. So I thought, even though I have only been blogging for six months, it was about time I shared my blog-birth story with you.**

Ever since I was a little girl I have had a passion for writing. My earliest memories of writing my hearts thoughts on paper would be when I kept a diary in the fourth grade. You know exactly the kind of diary I am talking about...the type that had the little tiny brass key that you would inevitably lose only hours after owning it. Do you remember the thin gold lined paper inside? I wrote my most intimate thoughts down on this paper. The hardship of multiplication tables, pimples and my hurt over receiving a 'Dorothy Hamill' haircut when I specifically asked for a 'Farrah Fawcett' style, were all written on these pages.

Fast forward thirty years or so and I am a mother of four children. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, off to the store I would go to find a journal for each precious child. I wrote down my prayers for their life, my hopes for their future and most especially shared with each little one just how much they were loved before I ever had the opportunity to hold them in my arms. Now on each birthday I take a moment to write a special message just to them from their mother's heart. Words I pray that will continue to bless them long after I am gone.

I have been blessed to belong to a church where I have had the opportunity to write for our women's newsletter and speak before the ladies. This last summer was such a blessing for me. During our Mother/Daughter tea both my daughter Meghan and I individually spoke to those gathered there. I spoke to the moms about planting seeds in your childs' life and Meghan spoke to the daughters on purity, a godly virtue close to her young heart. I was so blessed when I saw women coming up to her later to share what a blessing her message was to them. At sixteen years of age, she has gifts of writing and speaking that amaze me. When I write, it is her I ask to proofread my work.

The Lord recently has given me a scripture Rev. 21:5 'Behold, I make all things new. Write these words down, for they are true and faithful.' Only days after having this message twice from the Lord, I received word that a small part of my article that I had submitted to Today's Christian Woman was being published. I had been attending a Christian Writer's group and they informed me that it was unheard of, actually miraculous that the first thing I had ever sent in would be published. I just felt this another confirmation from the Lord to continue writing.

It was at this wonderful Christian Writer's group where I was inspired by these talented people to begin a blog. I had never heard of a blog before and was so intimidated to even know what to do. They were so encouraging that they had me believing I could do it. In time, I was impressing my computer geek husband with my newfound passion. He couldn't believe that I knew how to add music or pictures. He then entrusted the creation of his work brochures and marketing ideas to me. I didn't enjoy doing that half as much as my blog.

Now my blog has a two fold purpose. First and foremost, it is a tool in the Lord's hands to be used by Him to touch the lives of other women. I want God to be glorified in everything I write here. Secondly, it is a tool in His hands to cut away my sinful nature and to create in me the very heart of His son. My hearts desire is that this blog would be a place where women could come and see my imperfections and my transparency, but through it all, see a heart for the Lord, seeking to be changed one day at a time.

7 comments:

Mari said...

Joanne - I say again that your blog is a blessing to me. It does glorify God and it will be interesting to see how he uses it.

sharon brobst said...

Thanks for sharing your "birth" story! I just love coming here and being blessed by what God lays on your heart!

Chelle' said...

I have loved all your words since the first day I found your blog months ago.

What a blessing it has been to watch the Lord at work in you... maybe that's really why your blog is called, "Blessed..."

...because we get to witness the mighty Hand of the Lord at work in and through you... and we get to read and benefit from all of the fruit stemming from that growth.

We are the ones that are truly... "BLESSED".

Anonymous said...

beautiful, thank you for sharing :)

Megan said...

beautiful and inspiring! thank you! p.s. that guinea pig leash cracks me up!! :)

Rebekah said...

I know that I love stopping by your blog. You are a beautiful lady, inside and out.

I wrote a lot when I was younger, mostly poems. I still have all my Jr high writings and it cracks me up to read some of them.

AlaneM said...

Your have such a beautiful heart! Thanks for that story & for your trasparency. I really think that when we share our imperfections & struggles we let God's light shine through. I know I'm most inspired by women that do that & I know that God is at His best in my life when I'm at my worst. Thats (sadly) when I learn the most from Him anyway.
Bless you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin