Friday, April 3, 2009

Mount Hermon Newbie- Reporting From the Front Lines

I haven't been able to sleep for days. I'd love to tell you it's because I am super-spiritual, or because I've been scrubbing toilets to leave my family with a clean house.

Neither are true.

I think it's been the excitement. So, how about a quick recap of my day?

4:30am Alarm goes off.

5:30am Leave house fifteen minutes late and head to my girlfriends house.

6:15am Four of us pile into a Volvo XC90. We're off!

9:00am Stop at Starbucks for a quick pick-me-up. I highly recommend black tea vanilla lattes.

10:00am Prayer time at the beach in Santa Cruz. Meet a very interesting commercial fisherman.

11:00am We're Here! Register at Mt. Hermon. Boy-howdy, did I bring the wrong shoes. Cute was dumb. Comfortable is needed.

12:00pm Have lunch. Soup and Salad. Try to figure out how I can smuggle a dozen of these oatmeal raisin cookies to my room.

3:00pm Take class on creative non-fiction writing. (Wish I had the guts to tell the instructor that encouraging us to read Oprah's book selection, Eat-Love-Pray, isn't earning her any brownie points with me.)

6:00pm Dinner time! Met with publisher James Watkins, what a nice man.

7:30pm Worship. Guest speaker Bill Butterworth shared from 1Samuel and the story of David and Goliath. Encouraged us as writers to be courageous. What a funny guy.

10:23pm Blogging in the cafe. Surrounded by writers and sleeping with my eyes open.







Beth, Me, Lori and Denise, wondering what God has for us this week. And laughing. Why are we doing this again?




13 comments:

Mari said...

I know you will have a great time! I saw a picture of you four on Elizabeths blog too!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Keep us posted! Maybe if you have that speaker again you'll get the courage! I was just in a doctors office yesterday (actually having my mamo) and I saw alot of the "O" magazine around! I have a problem with a woman that needs to be on the front of everyone of her magazines! I think she has a "queen" complex!!! And that's just the beginning of why I have problems with you know who!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I wish I was there with you. :) I've been told that it would be a great idea to go to a writers's conference - I was just always too scared to venture out to one. I'm excited to hear all about it! Have a wonderful time!
Lynnette
Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground

Zaankali said...

Why can't cute also be comfortable? I love cute and long for them to be comfortable. LOL!
Smile!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Loved reading your post. I am anxiously waiting for your final report and praise!

:)

Marsha said...

Hey Girl! I know you will be even more blessed when this conference is over. Looking forward to hearing more.

Please remember to tell Bill Butterworth hi for me. If you recall, I told you we were in youth group and college together. One of my fondest memories of him in youth group (called Ranch) was the night he and I ran out to pick up all the pizzas for the pizza night after youth group. We got them all loaded into his car and all of the windows AND his glasses steamed up because of the heat from a car FULL of pizzas. It was winter, but that didn't matter, he had his window down so he could see to drive - with his head out the window! We just laughed and laughed. (We had 100-150 in our group - maybe more, so that's why so many pizzas!)
Blessings,
Marsha Harwood
Deep in the woods of NC

LisaShaw said...

ENJOY YOURSELVES IN JESUS NAME!!!

Jaclyn said...

Have fun! And I ALWAYS pack the wrong shoes...but hey, at least they are cute!

momstheword said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! How fun to be with other bloggers that you know. I had to look at your picture to see if I could see your cute shoes but you took them off!

Beth in NC said...

Looks like you are having fun! Yeah, I usually pick cute over comfy -- and then regret it.

Aunt Angie said...

Yea! I am glad you are having fun...and after the "oatmeal cookies" are digested...maybe you can get some rest...(I know you found a way to get some to your room) :)

Keep us posted!!!

Lisa Spence said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! I hate it when I should have chosen comfort over cute...

Paula V said...

Yep, you tossed them there ol' cute but constrictin' shoes I see.

Why can't the cutesy shoes be comfy?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin