Saturday, August 25, 2007

Our God Is An Awesome God!

Why am I always amazed when I learn something from one of my children? I am ashamed to admit that it is a surprise to me every single time it happens. So often I can get caught up in believing that I am their ‘Grand Poobah’ of knowledge and wisdom. My eyes and ears become closed to lessons in life that can be gained from them. Thankfully this morning during our family devotion my eyes and ears were wide open.

As all six of us sat in different areas of our family room, my husband Paul read the story in the Bible about the disciples out on the stormy seas of Galilee (John 6:16-20). He shared aloud, “As the darkness fell and the storm grew Jesus could be seen walking on the water towards them. Detecting their fear Jesus spoke to them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” Paul went on to share with our children how they shouldn’t fear situations or even the darkness because Jesus was always with them. As is our routine, he then went around the room and asked each child to contribute their own personal thoughts about the story just shared. Both our eight year old daughter Grace and six year old son Samuel said when they are afraid of the dark they pray in their beds. Our teenage son David’s answer was different. He said, “Dad, whenever you send me down to the basement and it is dark outside, I always sing out loud the song ‘Our God is an awesome God’.” He went on to say “It makes me feel better and I figure if I am going to die I might as well die singing a worship song.” We all cracked up. David laughed too, but not before I had been touched by his heartfelt words.

It made me think…when I fear whatever is along my path, in an instant my big ‘G’ God can become a little ‘g’ God. When the darkness creeps into my life, do I remind myself of what a great and awesome God I love and serve? I need to do what my son does. Today if fear or worry lurks in any unknown places…I will refresh my short term memory and remind myself, ‘My God is an AWESOME God!’

1 comment:

ElizabethMThompson said...

Joanne,

I have two worship songs when I am afraid. I sing them loud and very poorly, but I figure evil will flee. I never thought of the "might as well die while worshiping" angle!

Elizabeth

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin